Have you been living in a council or housing association property? Where you have complained numerous of times regarding disrepair to your property and they have neglected to carry out necessary repairs for more than 3 months? You could be entitled to compensation as well as a refund on any rent paid during this period.

As a tenant, it’s your council or housing association’s responsibility to ensure that your home is in good condition and free from any hazards that may endanger your health or safety. If your council or housing association neglects their responsibilities and your home is having disrepair, you may have the right to file a housing disrepair claim against them.

Making a housing disrepair claim can be complex, but taking action is essential if you live in unsafe or unhealthy conditions. Here is all the information you need to make a successful claim and get your deserved compensation.

Table Of Contents

  1. What is Housing Disrepair?
  2. How to Identify Housing Disrepair Issues
  3. Council or Housing Association’s Responsibilities
  4. Making a Housing Disrepair Claim
  5. Evidence Required for a Housing Disrepair Claim
  6. What Happens After You Make a Claim
  7. FAQs
Housing Disrepair Claims

Understanding Housing Disrepair

Housing disrepair refers to any issues that affect the condition of your home and impact your health, safety, or quality of life. Some common examples of housing disrepair include:

  • Damp or mould
  • Leaks or water damage
  • Broken heating or hot water systems
  • Structural damage to the property
  • Pest infestations
  • Electrical problems
  • Poor insulation or ventilation

If you’re experiencing any of these issues, taking action as soon as possible is essential.

Blank Form (#8)

Let Us Help You with Your Housing Disrepair Claims,
Call Us for FREE on 08007117500 for a FREE Consultation.

How To Identify Housing Disrepair Issues

Identifying housing disrepair issues can be difficult, especially if you’re unsure what to look for. Here are some signs that your home may be in disrepair:

  • Damp patches or mould on walls or ceilings
  • Cracks in walls or ceilings
  • Leaking taps or pipes
  • No hot water or heating
  • Broken windows or doors
  • Pest infestations
  • Electrical problems
  • Unpleasant smells

If you notice any of these issues, it’s important to report them to your local council or housing association as soon as possible.

Council Or Housing Association's Responsibilities

Your council and housing association are legally responsible for ensuring your home is safe and in good condition. This includes:

  • Keeping the property structurally sound
  • Ensuring that the property is free from hazards
  • Providing adequate heating and hot water
  • Ensuring that the property is well-maintained
  • Repairing any damage caused by their negligence
  • Providing access to basic amenities such as water, gas, and electricity

If your housing provider fails to meet these obligations, they may be in breach of their contract.

Consider Mediation

Mediation is a viable method for settling housing disrepair claims without legal proceedings and can produce positive results. A mediator performs as a neutral third party and helps you and your council or housing association find a mutually acceptable solution. This can be a quicker, cheaper, and less stressful way of resolving the issue compared to going to court. Mediation is particularly useful when both parties are willing to negotiate and find a resolution.

Making A Housing Disrepair Claim

If your housing provider has failed to carry out repairs or provide you with a safe and habitable home, you can make a housing disrepair claim. Here are the steps you should take:

Report the Issue to Your Council or Housing Association

Reporting the issue to your local council or housing association is the first step in a housing disrepair claim. Doing this as soon as possible is essential to allow them to rectify the problem. You should report the issue in writing, either by email or by letter, and ensure you keep a record of all correspondence. In your communication, clearly and concisely describe the disrepair and any evidence you have. Be sure to request that the repairs be carried out within a reasonable timeframe. Maintaining a polite and professional tone throughout your correspondence is essential, even if you feel frustrated or angry. Remember, you’re more likely to achieve a positive outcome if you communicate well with your council or housing association.

Allow Time for Repairs to Be Carried Out

It’s important to give your housing authority adequate time to carry out the repairs after you report the disrepair. Generally, they should carry out repairs within a reasonable timeframe. This timeframe will depend on the severity of the issue and the resources available to your council or housing association. If your housing provider fails to carry out the necessary repairs within a reasonable timeframe, you can claim housing disrepair compensation.

Seek Legal Advice

If your council or housing association fails to carry out repairs or provide you with a safe and habitable home, seeking legal advice from a housing disrepair solicitor is essential. A housing disrepair solicitor can advise you on your legal rights and whether you’re entitled to claim compensation. They can also guide you through the claims process, negotiate with your local council or housing association on your behalf, and represent you in court if necessary. Choosing a reputable and experienced solicitor specialising in housing disrepair claims and having a successful track record is important.

Gather Evidence

To increase the chances of making a successful housing disrepair claim, it’s essential to gather as much evidence as possible. This evidence should include photographs of the disrepair, medical reports detailing any injuries or illnesses caused by the disrepair, and witness statements from anyone who has seen or experienced the disrepair. It’s important to document any disrepair’s impact on your health and safety, such as asthma caused by mould or injuries caused by a faulty staircase. Having more evidence will make your case stronger.

Evidence Required For A Housing Disrepair Claim

For a successful housing disrepair claim, you will need to provide evidence of the disrepair and its impact on your health and safety. Here are some types of evidence that may be useful:

  • Photographs or videos of the disrepair
  • Medical reports or records
  • Witness statements from neighbours or professionals who have seen the disrepair
  • Repair quotes or invoices
  • Correspondence with your council or housing association

What Happens After You Claim

After you make a housing disrepair claim, your council or housing association will have a fixed response period. They may agree to carry out repairs, offer you compensation, or deny liability.
If your claim is successful, you may be entitled to compensation for any losses or expenses incurred due to the disrepair. This can include:

  • Costs of repairs
  • Compensation for any injuries or illnesses you have suffered
  • Payment for any damage to your personal belongings
  • Compensation for any other losses or expenses incurred as a result of the disrepair

We offer hassle-free housing disrepair claims services with the best solicitors, offering a No Win, No Fee agreement. We know the importance of having a safe and habitable home, and we’re here to help you get the compensation you deserve. Our team of experienced solicitors will handle your case professionally and efficiently, so you can get back to living in a property that meets your needs. Get in touch with us now to book a consultation and start your claim process.


Yes, council tenants can claim housing disrepair if their rented property is in disrepair.

Many housing solicitors offer a ‘no win, no fee agreement for housing disrepair claims. This implies that you will not be liable to pay any legal fees in case your claim fails.

If your local council or housing association refuses to pay the compensation you are entitled to, you can take legal action to enforce the judgment. This can involve taking further legal action or hiring bailiffs to seize their assets.

The time it takes to resolve a housing disrepair case can vary, depending on its complexity. It can take a few months or even a year or more.

No, it is illegal for a council or housing association to evict a tenant for making a housing disrepair claim.

Housing disrepair claim

Call Back Request

If you’d like us to call you back at a convenient time, Please fill in the form.
Any details submitted will only be used to deal with your request as set out in our privacy policy.